Saturday, June 1, 2013

Stash Buster BOM Block #4 - another choice...

Clay's Choice - another easy block!

 

This is another super easy block - it is made up of only two sizes of squares.  I followed the original color layout of the block and used 4 fabrics.   You can do the same or you can make it even scrappier - it's up to you!

Cutting is easy too - just two sizes

(A) 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" square - cut 4 sqares red print (scraps) and 4 squares of background


(B)  3 7/8" x 3 7/8" square - these will become half square triangles

Cut 4 squares of tan print (scraps)

Cut 2 squares of red print (scraps)

Cut 2 squares of background


Pair one of each of the tan with the red and gold prints, right sides together and then sew 1/4" on both sides of the diagonal line to yield 8 half square triangles once they are cut apart.  Please refer to my blog post "Blue Painter's Tape" for instructions on how to make half square triangles.


Lay out the squares and half square triangle units referring to the layout guide and picture above. (Remember to trim off the points of the HST units)   

 

Flip the squares in row two over on top of the squares in row one (left had side) and sew 1/4" seam -keeping them chained together as you go.

 

Remember to press each row alternating as you go. I press after adding each row - makes it easier plus you have to get up and move around which is always good.  Got to get some exercise when we can.  Some people keep their ironing board within reach of their machine but I have mine about 3 feet away so I am forced to get up and move around.

 Remember to keep an eye out for that ever important intersection.  You need to press so you can see that - note how my rows are pressed in alternating directions.

Last row!

Now I need to sew the other direction/rows together.  In this pic you can see that I have already sewn the rows together - I am on the last one.  There are pins....  


There will be times when the intersection I talk about so much is on the underside of the block and you can't see it.  What I do is take my fingernail and "find" it.  There will be a bump so to speak and if you locate that you can see where to sew even though you can't "see" the intersection, you can often times "feel" it and sew accordingly.  With a little practice you can get this down and your points won't be getting cut off.

Success!!!   I love it when things turn out perfect don't you?  

 

Remember the keys are simple: 

  1. Accurate cutting

  2. Scant 1/4" sewing using a thin thread ( I piece with good quality serger thread)

  3. PRESS as you go - use Magic sizing

  4. keep an eye out for those intersections and pay close attention to the ones on the outer edges of the block  - this will help a great deal when you go to set the blocks. 




    Yay!!!  Block #4 Clay's Choice is complete!  Good job!!!





 

 


 




2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for the second installment....I love your fabric choices...I'm not going to copy those but will probably mimic your placement of lights, mediums and darks. You know what THEY say about "imitation being the sincerest form of flattery"....:) Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying this BOM.....go ahead and copy - no issues from me - love it if what I did inspired you! Same to you my friend....

      Delete